03 October, 2007

Europe v. North America

Well, in sensibilities, anyway.

Just discovered that the Pipettes North American tour was rescheduled (with no Detroit date, of course), and also that their album, We Are the Pipettes, just had its North American release. Leaving aside the fact that it makes more sense to tour after the album has had a chance to sell, this is still a disappointment, since much as I'd like I can't just go to Toronto for every band. *cue the Morrissey*
Anyhow, I noticed the artwork for the album was changed a bit for the release here. Note:

European cover:


And then the North American edition:


Maybe it's just me, but the one for here seems a bit flashier, and maybe sexier in its own way. Shorter skirts, tighter fits, more modern hairstyles - yeah, definitely aimed at America.

Then again, it reminds me of a similar happening in 1979:





While technically true that Three Imaginary Boys and Boys Don't Cry are different albums (and much as it goes against my instincts, I'm going to have to say that BDC has the better tracklist), you can see the difference in continental aesthetics. Not that each doesn't evoke the era in its own way, but the TIB cover definitely lacks a certain "Sam Goody" vibe, whereas the BDC makes the Cure look like some Venice Beach electro-dance act. Or maybe it's easy to make judgements in retrospect.

No comments: