17 May, 2017

Dreaming in Stereo for May 17, 2017

Having shopped at thrift stores since the grunge bands introduced the idea to us kids in the 1990s (look, it was a different time), I've come to discern the cycle of re-sale merchandise, particularly when it comes to music. I picked up lots of 1970s and '80s rock in the early-mid 2000s, and now it's time for all the '90s bands to take their turns in the $2 bins. Which is fine for me, and was how I was able to re-discover PJ Harvey's balls-out 1995 album To Bring You My Love, which starts off this week's episode. Giving the title track a listen, and hearing that power in Harvey's vocals (to say nothing of the music behind it) - forget nostalgia, that's just a masterpiece that still holds up.

PJ Harvey bookends this episode, because I don't want to act like she never put anything good out after that, and I really dug this track off her latest album. 


PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love - To Bring You My Love - Island
Killing Joke - Requiem - Killing Joke - E.G.
The Cure - Disintegration - Disintegration - Fiction
-
Nothing - Nineteen Ninety Heaven - Tired of Tomorrow - Relapse
Moving Panoramas - Always - One - Modern Outsider
Eternal Summers - Together or Alone - Gold and Stone - Kanine Records
Žen - Žal (Strand) - Jantar - Unrecords
-
The Telescopes - Flying - # Untitled Second - Rev-Ola
Pinkshinyultrablast - The Cherry Pit - Grandfeathered - Vinyl Junkie Recordings
Strand of Oaks - Radio Kids - Hard Love - Dead Oceans
-
PJ Harvey - The Wheel - The Hope Six Demolition Project - Island

I discovered Zen whilst blog-hopping recently, and this is another group I (and presumably, you) really need to check out more. Here's a video - nice and loud:

No comments: