28 May, 2017

Dreaming in Stereo for May 22, 2017 - The Manchester Episode

What a difference a few hours can make.

In honor of Morrissey's birthday on May 22, I thought I'd not just feature a tribute to Moz himself, but to the city that (more or less) made him, Manchester. As anyone who's seen the movie 24 Hour Party People, or has even a passing knowledge of pop music in the late 20th century knows, there's an almost staggering amount of talent that came out of that northern England town, particularly in the 1980s and '90s. So that Monday afternoon I posted the show, and due to technical issues (note: don't use Internet Explorer if you have any choice in the matter) I wasn't able to post this entry until later.

Like a lot of people, my heart sank that night when I heard the news. Here was this city I'd just honoured a few hours prior, making headlines for all the wrong reasons. I don't even want to mention it again, as I like this show to be a respite from the seemingly endless parade of tragedy and farce that seem to be the zeitgeist of the 20-teens, but suffice it to say this episode took on a different tone for me (and for the listeners?) in the days that followed.

Anyway, enough of being a really heavy negative vibe merchant. Enjoy the show, and Viva la Morrissey!


The Smiths - Unhappy Birthday - Strangeways, Here We Come - Sire
The Stone Roses - Mersey Paradise - The Complete Stone Roses - Silvertone Records
James - Say Something - Laid - Mercury
Inspiral Carpets - This Is How It Feels - Life - Elektra
-
Doves - House of Mirrors - Kingdom of Rust - Heavenly
Elbow - Grace Under Pressure - Cast of Thousands - V2 Records
Courteeners - Has He Told You He Loves You Yet? - Concrete Love  PIAS Cooperative
Joy Division - Novelty - Heart and Soul - London
-
New Order w/ Billy Corgan - Turn My Way - Get Ready - London
Electronic - Get the Message - Get the Message - Warner Bros.
Johnny Marr - European Me - The Messenger - Warner Bros.
Sandie Shaw w/ the Smiths - Hand in Glove - Hand in Glove single - Rough Trade
Morrissey - Get Off the Stage - The HMV/Parlophone Singles '88-'95 - EMI
-
Morrissey - Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me - Live at Earl's Court - Attack Records

And at the risk of veering into sentimentality, here's Glastonbury Festival's Poet in Residence Tony Walsh reading his poem "This Is the Place":

No comments: